Thursday, January 28, 2010

In Memoriam - Dalmain


The old man has moved on. We loved him so.

The loss is what we feel and it is what it is. But I want us to remember the lighter side, the fun person, the dynamic businessman he was. And the father. I think he would appreciate that.

I remember, as a very young lad, climbing Rhino Peak in his beloved Drakensberg. That night a ferocious storm lashed us as we took shelter under a ledge near the edge of a precipice. He slept on the outside so that I wouldn't fall. He was so mad when I backed out of going to St. Johns. He taught me to sail.

I admire the winner in him. I've never won a marathon or been a millionaire. And he was of course quite brilliant. I so enjoyed his insouciance, his spirit of play. His practical jokes are family folklore and we should make an effort to write them down. I think he would enjoy being remembered for his playfulness.

I want to honour him for being a pioneer Scientologist in the early days, bringing Scientology to the Eastern Province. That religion has meant so much to me personally that I will be forever grateful to him for making it available for me to discover.

Charming, good looking, forever young! He sets a grand example in so many respects, I think you'll agree. I believe he is doing fine right now, free from physical encumbrance, and he deserves a great new life filled with further adventures.

Go Pops! With all my love.

No comments: